Pages

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Love is in the air!

One of my goals for the year was to decorate for each holiday. Valentine's Day gets bad mouthed a lot as a Hallmark holiday, but I personally like Valentine's Day. It might have a bit to do with the fact that my birthday falls on the 14th, but its always nice to celebrate love, whether its romantic or otherwise. As a couple, we don't really go all out for any holidays, birthdays or anniversaries, but we do like to celebrate each other in smaller ways. On Valentine's Day we make each other a card. Its so fun to see what my husband will come up with every year. He actually has fun doing it and tries to do it when I'm not home so he can surprise me with what he makes. I cheat a little and use my Cricut, but the thought is all the same. I'm so excited to be able to get the kids involved in this tradition as they get older.

I did a little decorating this year, and I love how it all turned out. I've been really obsessed with wreaths, so I knew I wanted to make a new one. I've done burlap and ribbon wrapped wreaths so I thought I'd try a yarn one this time. I used felt to make the flowers and scrap fabric for the banner. I have a ton of cream ribbon lying around to finish it off.

The burlap canvas is from Wal-Mart and I just placed the felt heart on so it would stay. Then I can reuse the canvas for another holiday. The twine wrapped bottle was a quick project and I had a bag of buttons to make the heart. I found the ribbon for the garland in the dollar spot at Target and used two spools.

The LOVE sign is one of my favorites because I made it by hand. I have a ton of those multi-colored frames laying around from a crazy sale at Michaels, I ended up paying between $5 and $6 for each. I wanted to use some of my fabric to make the sign and printed off a template online and then used that to trace it onto the fabric with a Sharpie. I love the way it turned out.

 
What Valentine's Day crafts are you working on this year?

2 comments:

  1. I love the garland! Very cute. I may have to make one for St. Patrick's day to put on our fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was definitely an easy project to work on. I can't wait to see how yours turns out :)

    ReplyDelete