Pages

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Freezer Meal Cooking Pt 2

As promised, I'm back to update some of the recipes for the wraps I made as a part of my freezer meals. I'll do my best to share these recipes but be warned, I kind of made some of them up as I went and measurements aren't exact.

Breakfast Burritos
*recipe yields about 25 burritos*
30 eggs. scrambled
2lbs breakfast sausage prepared
8 or 9 medium red potatoes, heated in the microwave
1 large red onion, 1 large green pepper, 1 large red pepper-sautéed
shredded cheddar cheese
1 bag of Kale, rinsed and dried
25 Large flour tortillas

I laid out some wax paper, laid out my tortillas and just went at it like an assembly line, placing items in the shells as I went. I rolled them up tightly, tucking in the ends and wrapped them in foil. I typically like to double wrap, but was low on foil. Stick them in the freezer and move them individually to the fridge the night before you'll be eating them. We've used both the microwave (about 90secs-2mins) and our George Foreman grill to heat them the next morning.

Chicken Fajita Wraps
1 bag frozen chicken breasts (about 4lrg breasts), grilled and sliced thin
9 whole wheat wraps
shredded cheddar cheese
1 large red onion, 1 large green pepper, 1 large red pepper-sautéed
1 bag of spinach, rinsed and dried
1 large avocado mashed (in hindsight, for as much as I love avocado, I would have used 2), I put in a healthy scoop of Greek yogurt and some garlic powder to almost make a guacamole with it and stretch it further.

Lay out the wraps and start assembling with all the ingredients. Wrap them in foil and label them. Stick them in the freezer and move them to the fridge the day before you'd like to eat them. Heat in the microwave or GF grill.

Turkey Cranberry Wraps
1lb sliced turkey meat
9 whole wheat wraps
1 bag of Craisins (dried cranberries)
1 container of feta cheese
1 red onion, thinly sliced
spinach

Lay out your wraps and assemble them with all of the ingredients. I put the spinach directly on top of the wraps to create a barrier between the wrap and the turkey, as it was a little wet and I didn't want the wrap to get soggy. Wrap them in foil, label them and freeze. Move them to the fridge the day before you'd like to eat them and you can heat them in the microwave or GF grill.

Mediterranean Style Wraps
1 bag frozen chicken breasts (about 4 large breasts), marinated in lemon and garlic and grilled. Slice thin.
9 whole wheat wraps
1 can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1 can sliced black olives, drained
1 container feta cheese
1 package sundried tomatoes
1 red onion, diced
spinach or kale

I mixed the artichoke hearts, black olives, feta, sundried tomatoes and red onion together with a bit of olive oil and started assembling the wraps. This is the only recipe that I felt like was missing something. I really liked them, but they needed something more. I think next time I'll try adding some garlic and a splash of lemon juice or prepared pesto to the mixture and see if that does anything for me. I wrapped everything up in foil and put it in the freezer. Move them to the fridge the day before you'd like to eat them. Heat in the microwave or on the GF grill.

Chicken Pesto Sandwiches
1 bag frozen chicken breasts (about 4 large breasts) grilled and sliced thin
10 slices provolone cheese
20 slices of whole wheat bread
1 large red onion, sliced thin and sautéed
1 jar prepared pesto
sundried tomatoes, sliced thin
Greek yogurt

This was by far, the most delicious recipe I came up with. My husband has already gone thru our stash of sandwiches in just a few days. Even though all the prepped food was supposed to last a few weeks, I might break the rules and prep a few more of these next wee, since they were such a big hit.

I mixed the pesto, sundried tomatoes and a few healthy scoops of Greek yogurt together in a bowl. On one slice of bread, I placed the grilled chicken, on the other I placed a slice of provolone cheese. On top of the chicken I generously spread the pesto mixture and topped it with the red onion. My goal was for the cheese and chicken to create a barrier so the pesto mixture wouldn't get the bread soggy. I wrapped them individually and froze them. We move them to the fridge the day before we want to use them and heat them on the George Foreman so they are like paninis. Don't try subbing regular tomatoes in these, they don't freeze well.

Pesto Tortellini
2 packages whole wheat cheese tortellini
1 jar prepared pesto
sundried tomatoes
fresh spinach
sliced mushrooms
sliced onion

Prepare tortellini as indicated on packaging. Drain and mix all ingredients together. Split into 2 gallon Ziploc bags and freeze. Move to the fridge the day before you'd like to use them. Heat on stovetop.

I've also added chicken or shrimp to this to make it more filling. Next time I'll probably add feta (can you tell I'm on a Mediterranean kick lately?).

No comments:

Post a Comment